Sunday, November 3, 2013

Phone Scam from kononnya "AMBANK"

SO! here's a serious post. Well, you can read it with a relax mind and mood but I really want to share this experience with everyone.

The whole thing started at 28 Oct 2013 (Thurs) around 4.30pm, I was in uni editing a video with friends and I received a call from +1300808888. Without hesitation as I think is just a call so I answered and a machine-automated voice said there's a transaction of RM3000+ performed from my AmBank credit card on that day so I talked to the operator on the phone and not kidding, I was panic as I don't know what's going on and that's not a small amount. I'm sure I've not apply any credit card or whatsoever and at that time I not sure whether the AmBank account I opened when I was so young still exist or not. I explained everything I heard just now to the operator and he said according to the computer data, I've applied a credit card around August at KL using my name and IC, they called me this time because the transaction amount is big. The MOST shocking thing I heard from the operator is that I've accumulated RM6000+ since August. At that moment I was like "damn that person who used my name and IC!" I asked the operator what can I do if that's not me who make that transaction, and he asked me to call Bank Negara Malaysia. So I called the number he gave me and still the same, an electronic automated voice asked me to choose the language, so I chose English but when the phone operator at BNM answered the call, he speak BM. At that moment I didn't suspect anything, I was panic and pissed off so I explained everything again to the BNM phone operator. He told me he will call me later and the conversation later will be recorded as evidence in the court. He took my details then ended the call. I was worried and panic so I called my mom and explain the whole story AGAIN, surprisingly she was rather calm and in the end of our conversation she told me not to answer any anonymous call later because that's phone scam! Honestly, I was "ding"! enlightened at the moment when "phone scam" came out in the conversation. I checked with my mom about my AmBank Acc but she said I've cancelled it long time ago. I remained quiet for few sec and ended the call. I checked online on BNM phone number but as expected is not the number the "AMBANK" guy gave me. I check the number he gave me 03-27885082, and tadaaa! That't definitely not the number of BNM. I felt so dumb dumb for being fooled and even made the call. =.=

So how dp I know that's a phone scam? I saw a post when I searched the "fake BNM number" --> Another Case , I read and it's exactly the same as what I've experienced just now. The only thing that is different is that the guy didn't call me again for the "recorded conversation". You all can read the whole thing in the website I found.


Now that when I think of what I've heard that time, the 2 "phone operators" sound the same. I feel so super duper stupid after the whole thing. Lol I'm still so glad that I called my mom.

So people, be careful not to expose any personal details to any anonymous person. I've heard and see lot of phone scam cases before, even my parents told me to be careful but seriously I was so unaware when I was the victim.

Share this to everyone you know, on facebook/twitter/instagram/myspace/blog/face to face. Just share it because there's already many cases from the same call.

Stay safe!

34 comments:

  1. Oh no... i receive the exact same call. This time the BNM number is 03-27885051... Consumers out there... please beware... Ambank and BNM.. please do something

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just receive this exact call just know.. I was panicked.he gave me that fake BNM number also.. He sound very convincing. I immediately call my brother afterward and tell the phone conversation about AMBANK.. and he said if it's AMBANK just ignore it.. then i google about the phone number and it lead me to your posting. Lucky i didn't call that number yet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vivien...i just got the same experience a few minutes ago mentioning the same amount of unpaid credit card. The funny part,I did not have any ambank account! Thanks for your post,at least we are aware that the scam using AmBank still active...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just receive the exact call too....if i know this thing earlier...i will play around and make fun of this people...hahahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I received the same call. They called me a few times, I didn't pick up the call. They left me a voicemail with automated IVR message saying I had outstanding RM3800 with Ambank. The automated IVR voice was poorly done. The voice sounded like an auntie spoken broken English. Didn't sound like professional IVR at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I just got the call from this "broken English auntie-voiced recording" for the exact same "amount pending" from AmBank.

      Delete
  6. yeah me too i received a call from this number 03-2178 8888 and the operator has this not-so-commercial-like voice.

    actually i didn't pick up the call but left me a voicemail, when i checked the voicemail, the same thing about AM bank and RM3k.

    CAREFUL GUYS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hallo everybody... me too just received this fake call...be careful

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello everyone, the scam number just called my mobile. Beware, this is a SCAM and do not bother to pick the call. just drop it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The number to be aware --- first from AmBank - 21788888, then the number 27885051 and now another number 27884919! These are SCAM numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi i also received the call that u are mention just now, first AMbank will call then tell u the same thing what u all mention then tell u to call BAHAGIAN LAPORAN BANK NEGARA to make a report the no is 03-27885051 and i call it but the operator just ask me my name and phone no and say will call me back later, after a few minute she call back twice but i didn't pick up the phone again .....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just received the call from these scammers at 11.25am. The BNM guy who introduced himself as Raymond Chua sounded so convincing. He told me that this is a very serious offence. I gave him my IC no and how many credit cards I have. He asked if I have any online banking accounts and I said no. After the conversation was over he told me not to mention it to anybody as this is a very serious crime and he will get back to me as soon as he has completed the investigation. Suddenly, I realised that there was something fishy going on here. I called the first number 2167 3833 who informed me of the transaction of RM3800 for jewellery at Poh Kong. The line was inactive. I called back the BNM guy and told him to look into it. He says he will investigate. After that I called my banks and informed them about this mysterious call and they told me to ignore as this is a scam to try and get money from me. So Raymond Chua or Officer Wong, whoever you guys are STOP SCAMMING PEOPLE. One day you or your family members will get SCAMMED by some other people who are smarter than you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you ever received any spam/scam call?
    If you're an Android user, and you always get annoyed with calls from Telemarketers, check out this app. I use it to get alerts for incoming calls from common telemarketers/spammers.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mpacs.android.apps.spamalert

    ReplyDelete
  13. WTF...i just received a Spam Call from 03-27885051 just now! beware!!!
    "找吃行远点啦"!!

    Polis Report!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i got called for the same thing as well with the number of 03 2188 8899
    everyone please be careful.
    i was lucky because i do not have any AmBank account and also the signal was bad in my area.
    as soon as i key in the number to connect myself to the operator,
    the call was hung up,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just got a call from 0321888899 informing me of outstanding payment of RM3800. They asked for my name but as soon as they mentioned ic no, i hunged up. No calls since then. Please be aware of these scam calls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just got a call from 0321888899 claiming they are from Maybank and i charged 3800 to it as well. I hung up and called maybank up. Luckily no such transaction.

      Delete
  16. i also got a missed call from this number 03-2188 8899 yesterday 23/07/14. luckily i dont pick it up. i juz google this number to see either its from bank or any institution so i can call them back, suddenly i found all these reminders. tq all, and will share this number with everyone i know!

    ReplyDelete
  17. same here just now.....i just terus hangup ...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear All,

    Today and just 5 minutes ago, I too have received a call from +603-2188 8899 and there is totally obvious IVR saying I have a pending transaction of RM3,800.00 from AM Bank. Immediately I have transferred my call to the operator and during transfer, IVR said "Sila tunggu sebentar" but when this dude answer was "Good morning and how i may assist you". Looks like language selector function is expensive so they decide to cut cost on it, is what i thought in the first place.This dude tried to be professional but failed in many ways. Have told him that I am no longer an AM Bank user and what is this about. As usual he tried to obtain my details by starting with my full name. I have found it to be really weird and google for the number then linked me to this site. The reason I found it weird was, they suppose to have my details since they are the banker and especially I have transferred my call directly from the issue. Hung up and started writing here. Therefore guys, before getting in cautious or beware mode, please doubt it first and you will find your way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. damn phone scammers...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I also received called from 0321888899 just now informing got outstanding balance RM3,800 with AMBank..i just hung up..know its a scam call..if u all got outstanding with any bank and want to confirm it just call the number in your bank statement or at your credit cards..tq.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing guys ! I received the missed call and try to call back..but the phone is not in service all the time , so i google the number and found this blog..luckily i have missed it, otherwise i will be cheated ~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hahaha, i just got a call from the same number a few minutes ago... But before the IVR could finish 'talking', i hung up... Suspected something's not right, i google the number and it got me to this site... Lucky... Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Luckily my office got weak coverage for my number. I just got a text saying that I got 1 missed call from 0321888899. I googled the number and here I am. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. I receive call from same no...said I using rm3000+++ at poh kOng...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just receive call from the number 5 minute ago...oh no... Stuppid people!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Me too received the same scam call from 0321888899 just now saying i have a pending transaction of RM3800 when I do not even have any Ambank account.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Today, Sunday 10 Aug 2014, I received a phonecall from 03 21888899, listened to the prerecorded voice of a lady, I listened to it till the end of the message. Well, upon hearing the sum.of RM3,800/= mentioned, I knew it was a trap to boost up your anger and thus interact over the phone with whoever at the other end. But I didn't proceed and instead just laughed it off. I learnt a bitter lesson 2 years back when I lost RM1499/= through a phone scam which they claimed there was an outstanding bill of RM3,800+ due to UniFi.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just got a call from 0321888899 an hour ago..
    Saying the same thing you guys have heard..
    Knowing it was a phone scam , i decided to sing and the funny moment was when the operator shouted "seriously"..
    Lol

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey guys!! I just received the same call from 03-21888899. There was a lady voice saying that 'Dear customer, you have an Ambank transaction RM3800++ ... bla bla bla. I ended the call without any hesitation because I do not hv any ambank account. So? Guys pls be aware of this scam call.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just received a call too. Damn you scammer! The aunty's voice sounds scary though.. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  31. Recieved a scam call from 03-27832399. Claimed it is calling from UOB regarding credit card. Recently UOB resent new credit card to replace the premier card. The scammer know about this and said bank negara issued the card and no longer need signature. They even know my company name and mother's maiden name. They asked for my IC no. for verification to send pin. When i said i will call back, he sound very strict to ask for my last 4 digit.
    I immediately call uob to block my card and made police report after found out online that the number is scam call.
    I suspect it could be the 3rd party company when i applied my credit card.
    I believe he has already have all my details. The loophole with UOB is that they allow reset pin by sms and phone. The UOB call center's verification also only 2 simple questions where anyone can pretend as me to verify.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Received a call from 03-27832399 5 mins ago. Feeling suspicious I didn't answer the call and immediately google for this number and it leads me to your post. Thank you so much! Will spread around to increase the awareness~

    ReplyDelete